Guilt and Shame
Does “I feel bad” begin too many of your sentences? Do you often think about the things you “should” be doing and didn’t, or did do, but are thinking back and wishing you hadn’t?
Guilt and shame have a tendency to tell stories in your mind. They make you think you’re “no good,” or “not capable.”
Shame can manifest in a variety of ways, both physically and emotionally. Some common signs and symptoms of guilt and shame include:
- Feeling a deep sense of unworthiness or inadequacy.
- Quick to blame yourself
- Difficulty accepting compliments or positive feedback.
- Talking negatively about yourself, and thinking poorly of yourself.
- Difficulty setting boundaries and saying “no” to others.
- Having a tendency to compare oneself to others, and always feeling less than them.
- Feeling embarrassed by your thoughts, feelings, or decisions.
Shame is a feeling that is often rooted in our internal beliefs and perceptions, rather than the situation itself. Living with shame is not just a roadblock to your personal growth but can take a toll on your emotional well-being.
You can learn to love yourself.
Therapy can help you work through these feelings and gain perspective to manage, and even overcome feelings of shame to live a more fulfilling life.
I can help you to:
- understand where your shame and guilt come from.
- help identify and combat the challenging thought patterns and beliefs that are contributing to shame.
- develop self-compassion, by learning to be kind and understanding toward yourself.
- learn how to forgive yourself and embrace mistakes.
- focus on your strengths and positive qualities and to remind yourself that you are not defined by your mistakes or failures.
I believe that every woman deserves to feel confident and worthy, and I am committed to helping you achieve that. Whether you’re struggling with guilt and shame related to past experiences, or you’re dealing with these emotions in the present, we are here to support you.
Take the first step towards healing and self-acceptance today so you can overcome guilt and shame and live your best life.